Tuesday, August 2, 2016

I passed an idiot today.

*climbs on soapbox*

If you text and drive, or do anything else that impairs your driving or takes your eyes off the road for no good reason, you’re an idiot.

Driving down my curvy road this morning, I approached an above mentioned idiot who was driving a rather large, nice, gray car partially on my side of the road. Thinking she’d get over, like most people do when they see a car coming, I didn’t think much about it—til she didn’t. 

As she continued to come over into my lane, I knew I had one of two choices: 1. slow down and let her hit me head-on or 2. swerve and miss her, sending my truck off the hill that was beside me, probably flipping it, while she continued on her merrily way. Well, I chose option one, hoping if I blew my horn she might have time to get out of my way. Just as she got to me, my hand hovering over my horn, the idiot happened to actually look back up at the road and swerve over. 

What’s crazy is that this wasn’t some teenager or twenty-something person who hadn't been driving long enough to realize the responsibility that comes with getting behind the wheel. No, this was a curly, blonde-haired woman who looked to be my age, maybe a little older. A put-together looking woman who should’ve known better than to not be watching where she was going while in control of a couple tons of metal. She could be a wife, mom, daughter, maybe even a grandmother... who knows? I'm sure that, somewhere, somebody loves that idiot I passed today. This is proof that idiots come in all forms.

Once my heart slowed down, I was so flippin' mad! Not only at her, but all the other drivers who do stupid stuff like that while they're driving, not only putting themselves in danger, but everyone around them. I see it all the time; someone driving with their phone under their nose, glancing up and down, back and forth, like it's no big deal.

The sad part is that it's probably one of you. One of my friends. Family. You may do this.

Despite the fact that everyone knows how dangerous it is to look away from the road for just 5 seconds, people still do it... every day! Truck drivers, mini-van & sports cars drivers, bus drivers. The only person I've not seen do this (so far) has been a motorcycle driver.  


It's So Important


"I'm on my way." Really? Then let them know BEFORE you're actually on your way.

"Whatever." Oh, just one quick word won't hurt, right? Well, that one word can take at least five seconds to type and send while juggling your phone. Five seconds you're not paying attention. Five seconds that could lead to you running off the edge of the road, making you over-correct into the car of a new mother who is taking her newborn baby home from her first doctor's visit. Five seconds that could ruin another family's life FOREVER. So, explain why that one word couldn't wait til you're at least at a red-light or til you're home. I'm sure whoever is waiting for your answer won't mind, especially if they know you're driving, and if they do, then you don't need to be talking to them, anyway, because they obviously don't value your life very much.

"lol" or "ttyl"... I can't even with this one.

There is no social media notification, text, email, or phone call that is more important than a life. NONE! Yet that's exactly what you're risking when you pick up your phone. 

Just like that woman assumed she could multitask and look down while driving and still somehow stay in her lane, don't assume that you're such an amazing driver or texter that you can, too. Don't assume that no one will pass you or that you won't swerve into the other lane. Don't assume that you can still put makeup on because the road just happens to be in the same direction as the mirror. Don't assume your mad driving skills will keep you in your lane even though you're not looking. Don't assume that one text or glance at your phone won't kill you or someone else. 

I wanted to turn around and follow that woman just so I could ask her what she was doing that was so important that it could've taken me away from my two kids forever today.

I wanted to ask the guy who was driving beside me and family on the interstate, going 70 mph, looking at his phone more than the road, what was so important that he'd risk swerving into us. Into MY truck that is carrying MY kids. 

So, let me ask you... what's so important? I'd really like to know what you think is more important than my kids, who are usually with me when I'm on the road. Or more important than your kids? Or your parents, when they get a call that you've been in a bad wreck? Is it more important than the pain it can potentially cause?

The next time you think it's okay to look up a number and call somebody, send/check that one text, or look at that notification... do YOU really think it's worth it? Worth your life? A child's mother's life? A hard-working father whose family depends on him? My life? My kids' lives? IS IT??? 

All I know is that if you're an idiot and end up hitting me (especially if my kids are with me) because you were looking at your phone or drunk... and you don't get hurt... then you better run. Run fast.

If one of my kids happens to be riding with you and you wreck because your phone was more important than them, you better go into hiding, and hide well.

I'm so not joking. 

I respect you and your loved ones' lives, so please respect mine. If you're driving, then drive. Both eyes on the road, both hands on the wheel... you know, that sort of thing. 



Don't be an idiot! 

No comments:

Post a Comment