Thursday, January 14, 2016

Always


As most of you know, I'm a huge Harry Potter fan, and after hearing of Alan Rickman's death today, who portrayed Severus Snape in the beloved Harry Potter movies, I'm actually pretty sad. It's a strange feeling, really, mourning the death of an actor whom I've never met. David Bowie passed away this week, as well, also succumbing to cancer, and his death upset me, too. Yes, I like his music and love him in the movie Labyrinth, but he's truly a stranger to me; both of them are. So, with that being said, why do I care so much? 

I think we get upset because the books and movies we love become somewhat real to us, in a way, with the characters becoming a part of our lives. I often get sad when I look at my Harry Potter books because it just reminds me that the story is fiction; it never happened. There's really no Harry, Hermione, or Ron... or Severus Snape. As a book lover who often talks to other book lovers, I know I'm not the only person who feels this way. When one of our favorite book characters die in a book, we mourn that loss. (I've boo-hoo cried many times and I'm not ashamed to admit it.) When the actor who plays them dies, it's like they take a part of that character with them.
Alan Rickman portrayed Professor Severus Snape like no one else could. From his tone of voice to his expressions, he was perfect. He will forever be with those of us who read and re-read Harry Potter, which I often do. As we read the words Snape spoke, we'll always see Alan Rickman saying them in our minds. Watching the movies will have a new hint of sadness woven in, giving birth to many more new feelings that will entwine in the already complex character that Snape is. 

I just wanted to take the time to honor him today. I hope he realized how much his fans adored him and appreciated his talent for bringing his characters to life. May his legacy live on for the next generation to enjoy.



Praying for his family during this time of sadness.


No comments:

Post a Comment